Friday 10 June 2016

Berry Nice To Meet You

I have a bit of a 3D modelling kick at the moment so I've created yet another little guy! I'm going to talk about the process that went into making him as I feel I learned a fair bit, so I apologise in advance if this gets a little bit lengthy! 

First of all, here's a turntable of the finished model:


And as always, you can get a closer look at it via the Sketchfab link here

I had a lot of fun making this little one, though as I said I did learn some things, so let's go through that. 

First of all, his design is based on this character concept I created a week ago:


I aim to make my way through all 4 of the characters I designed, but I felt that this little one would be easiest to start with!

Now originally while creating the model I had two parts - one was his body, and the second part was his stem (which I had created with Maya's line & extrude tool combo). This worked okay at first, but after texturing him I noticed a pretty unsightly problem:


The area where I had stitched the two edges together weren't agreeing with one another for whatever reason, and so this very noticeable seam had appeared at their meeting point. His stem also looked darker than his body, despite them being painted the same colour. 

Realising that I couldn't fix this without just starting over, I made the decision to remove his stem and just create it straight from the body without having to stitch anything together. This thankfully solved the problem with no further issues caused. :)

With this out of the way I continued to paint our new friend until he was finished and ready to face the world!


Now my next step for this little guy is to check that all is well in UE4, and if so, then I'll begin to animate him. I'm quite excited about that :) and will of course be posting updates as I go along.

Thank you for reading, I hope you have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment